One of the most confusing aspects of transferring to college is understanding how credits transfer. ASSIST, an online transfer information system, helps students understand how credits work. Learn how ASSIST works here!
Understanding College Transfer Credits with ASSIST
What is ASSIST?
ASSIST (Articulation System Stimulating Interinstitutional Student Transfer) is an online system that shows how credits earned at a California college/university can apply to another school the student transfers to. ASSIST is the official system used by public California colleges and universities.
Who is ASSIST for?
ASSIST is for any student who is planning to transfer from one California public college/university to another public California college/university. It helps students select the right courses (that are transferable to a CSU or UC) when enrolling in classes each semester or quarter.
Examples of students who use ASSIST include:
- A student transferring from a community college to a California State University (CSU) school
- A student transferring from a community college to a University of California (UC) school
- A student transferring from one CSU to another
- A student transferring from one UC to another
- A student transferring from a CSU to a UC
- A student transferring from a UC to a CSU
ASSIST also allows users to explore the majors that are available at the Universities of California and California State Universities.
How ASSIST works
ASSIST works in two ways: you can either search for information if you know your major, or you can explore majors.
#1: Searching by major
Select the campus you are transferring from and the campus you are transferring to. This takes you to another page, where you choose your major from a list (see below).
#2: Exploring majors
Many students do not immediately chose a major. This is OK! For these students, there is a second option. Click “Explore Majors,” which you can see below.
This will take you to a page where you can choose from many options:
- All UC majors
- All CSU majors
- All UC/CSU majors (combined)
- All California community college majors
- Majors that have transfer agreements between community colleges and CSUs or UCs
ASSIST provides the information students need to make the right decisions when enrolling in classes, and it takes the guesswork out of transferring. It’s a great tool, especially when used in conjunction with your academic counselor!
Are you attending college soon? Don’t forget to read our useful articles:
- What is a California Community College?
- Overview of the California College System
- Vocabulary for College Transfer Students